Inmate Escapes Custody at St. Louis Hospital, Apprehended Later


St. Louis, Missouri -An inmate who escaped custody during medical treatment at a St. Louis hospital has been captured, authorities in Missouri reported. The fugitive, identified as 45-year-old Tommy Wayne Boyd, was apprehended Thursday evening approximately six miles north of the hospital, according to the St. Louis County Police Department.

Police revealed that Boyd is a convicted child sex offender serving a 30-year sentence for statutory sodomy, a specific classification of sex crimes involving minors below the age of 14 under Missouri state law.

Boyd's escape occurred after he was last seen by hospital staff at Mercy Hospital South, located in the greater St. Louis area, shortly before 4 a.m. on Thursday. Approximately 30 minutes later, authorities received a call reporting the escape. The inmate had been transferred from the Potosi Correctional Facility to the hospital for medical treatment the previous day.

Surveillance footage captured Boyd leaving the hospital premises on foot, with his direction of travel unknown. The St. Louis County Police Department released still images from the footage, showing Boyd wearing a dark jacket, orange slippers, and light-colored gym shorts.

Following the escape, local residents were cautioned to stay vigilant and promptly report any potential sightings by dialing 911.

This incident comes in the wake of several similar cases in recent months, where inmates fled custody while receiving medical attention. In New York City, 44-year-old Yenchun Chen, who was apprehended in late July for possession of a controlled substance, escaped but was located and returned to custody. Meanwhile, Danielo Cavalcante managed to evade Pennsylvania authorities for two weeks before being recaptured in Philadelphia.

In Washington, D.C., authorities are still in pursuit of murder suspect Christopher Haynes, who escaped from custody at George Washington University Hospital on September 6. A reward of $25,000 has been offered for information leading to Haynes' arrest.