Ruben Casas Indicted Nearly Two Years After Alleged Elderly Assault in Bexar County

BEXAR COUNTY, Texas – In a significant development, Ruben Casas has been formally indicted by the Bexar County District Attorney's Office, almost two years after the alleged incident took place. The indictment, dated September 21, arrives on the heels of an investigative report by KSAT, shedding light on the multitude of unindicted felony cases in Bexar County for the years 2022 and 2023.

According to official court records in Bexar County, Casas is facing charges related to causing bodily injury to an elderly individual in an altercation that transpired on September 24, 2021, near the vicinity of North New Braunfels and Gibbs, east of downtown.

The indictment asserts that Casas purportedly struck and kicked a man who is 65 years old or older. Additionally, prosecutors have appended a deadly weapon allegation to the charges due to Casas' use of his foot during the altercation. Furthermore, Casas is designated as a repeat offender, a factor that could result in more severe penalties if he is found guilty.

A spokesperson from the Bexar County District Attorney's Office emphasized their commitment to safeguarding elderly residents, stating, "Protecting elderly residents of Bexar County is a priority of the Bexar County Criminal District Attorney's Office. Through an indictment, the Bexar County Grand Jury has determined that there is probable cause to believe that Ruben Casas has committed the crime of Injury to an Elderly Individual causing Bodily Injury. Prosecutors in our office will vigorously prosecute the case."

As per the original arrest warrant, the altercation occurred at the DIY Carwash on Gibbs. The victim had initially offered to assist Casas in drying his vehicle, but Casas declined. Subsequently, an argument erupted, leading the victim to walk away briefly. However, he returned to the scene, and another confrontation ensued.

According to the warrant, Casas pursued the victim, who had picked up a piece of concrete as a potential defensive tool. It was during this tense moment that Casas allegedly struck the victim, causing him to fall to the ground. Witnesses reported seeing Casas choking the victim while attempting to separate the two.

The warrant's account continues, detailing how Casas stood up and proceeded to kick the victim in the head, eventually stomping on his head. Bystanders rushed to aid the unconscious victim.

In response to the investigative report by KSAT, which highlighted delays in indicting several cases, District Attorney Joe Gonzales initially agreed to an interview. However, the interview was subsequently canceled, and a rescheduled session was assured, leaving questions surrounding the timing of the indictment.